Wednesday, April 8, 2009

How Ken and I met and married

One of the reasons why I started this blog is so that my kids can look back down the road and learn a little bit of what was happening in our lives at the time. I also want them to know a little about our lives before they came along, which is why I've decided to write about how Ken and I met...
It was 1997 and I was attending my first sememster at the University of Arizona. I lived in a co-ed dorm only a few feet away from the football stadium. My roomate and I shared a tiny space with white brick walls and a bunk bed. We didn't have much in common, but she was nice enough.
I didn't socialize much, instead opting to take a full course of classes and working a part-time job. When I wasn't in class or studying, I was on the cash register in the student union or grabbing a quick snooze on one of the library's comfy couches. I loved every minute of my classes, whether I was writing an article for journalism or learning the constellations in astronomy. I was sure I wanted to graduate, become engrossed in my career, and travel the world solo. Sure that I wanted to avoid marriage for a few years, I didn't invest to much time in guys. The dates that I want on shortly after arriving at the UofA confirmed my desire to stay single; one guy repeatedly recited stange poems that he had written, another date (a pushy lawyer in his 30s) tried to introduce me to his mom after our first dinner together, and another offered to give me rides on his bike around campus (it was only a one seater.)
Busy with work and school, the first few months of the semester flew by. I was excited to drive home Thanksgiving weekend to see friends and family. While in Safford, my good friend Janna called and invited me on a double date. She had gone on a few dates with Ken, who recently returned home from his mission to Ireland, and they both wanted to set me up with Ken's friend. (Before I forget to mention it- Christi was the one that set Ken and Janna up, so thank you Christi! We wouldn't be married without you.) The four of us ate dinner in a booth at Jerry's Restaurant and had a fun time all getting to know eachother. My first impression of Ken was that he was (a) a really nice person and (b) possible the skinniest man I had ever seen.
Ken invited Janna and I to Mesa that weekend so that we could go on another double date. I really wanted to spend more time with my family, but felt impressed that I should spend the rest of the break in Mesa. The four of us drove to Ken's house where I met his family. I thought that they were great.
The four of us went on several more double dates together over the next couple of months. Eventually, Ken and Janna decided that they weren't compatible as did Ken's friend and I. Still, Ken and I continued to communicate via e-mail. We got to know eachother pretty well during that time. I felt comfortable around him and we never seemed to run out of coversation topics. One weekend, Ken called and said that he wanted to drive to Tucson and show me his new vehicle (a bright blue Amigo). He arrived on a Friday evening and we went to KFC for dinner and watched Mr. Magoo at the two dollar theater (talk about a romantic first date, hee hee.) We spent the rest of the weekend talking, eating at the student union, and walking around campus.
He drove to Tucson again the next weekend and the one after that. Though I didn't really see him as a romantic interest, I thought of him as a good friend and really enjoyed his company. I looked forward to his e-mails and weekend visits. On the weekend of his 22nd birthday, he took me to a concert at the Rialto Theater and afterward we had our first kiss. Shortly afterward, Ken was offered a promsing job in Tucson at Keane Inc.
Still, I had convinced myself that I didn't want to get too attatched and only saw graduation and a career in the future, not a marriage and a family. As I was preparing to go back to Safford for the summer, I decided to break things off with Ken. Despite the break-up, I remember that he sweetly helped me pack up my dorm room and get ready to head home.
After only a week of not talking to him, I realized how much I really missed him. I knelt and prayed sincerely about whether or not I should continue dating him. The answer was an astounding, "yes."
My family was traveling to Phoenix the next weekend and I decided to meet up with Ken then. He kindly forgave me for the break-up and we went on a picnic on the lawn near the Mesa temple's visitor center. It was during the picnic that I felt an impression that Ken was "the one."
On the evening of July 24th, 1998, Ken drove me to Wet Canyon on Mt. Graham. We unloaded snacks and headed off to find a nice picnic spot. It was then that we realized the area was was crawling with spiders. Those of you who are aware of my phobia will understand why we quickly high-tailed it out of there to find a different picnic area. We drove to Noon Creek and decided to stay in the Amigo with the top down. Shortly after arriving, Ken pulled out a bag of peanut butter M&Ms (one of my all-time favorite snacks). I reached into the bag and pulled out a peice of paper. Ken said, "You must have won something!" The side of the M&M bag claimed that there were prizes in some of the bags, so I excitedly opened the envelope. Inside I found an R2-D2 card with a poem that asked for my hand in marriage. I said "yes" and ken placed a beautiful (but slightly tight) gold claddagh ring on my finger.
After the proposal, we drove to my Grandpa's house, where Ken asked him for my hand in marriage. He enthusiastically agreed. We then went to the Pioneer Day celebration , where we informed friends and family that we were getting married.
On Nov. 27th, 1998, exactly a year after the day we met, we were married in the Mesa Temple!
That's my side of the story! I'm going to try to get Ken to write a post about his perspective. (=

2 comments:

  1. That was so fun to read! I remember when the four of you guys came down to mom's house (I was there). Also, I thought it was interesting that Ken had a blue amigo......Dale had a black one. I didn't remember that Ken had a blue one. That's really cool that you got married exactly 1 year after the day you met. I don't know if I could remember our dating story as well. Wish I wrote it down earlier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post Pam! It's so great that you are writing these kind of things down. I should do it too. Hope you are doing well. :)

    ReplyDelete