Thursday, April 1, 2010

Helmet Head

Dray has gone from resembling Charlie to Brown to looking like a miniature Tron. Too bad the helmet doesn't come with neon lighting.


He started wearing his helmet on Friday and it's already been quite a journey. I think he's adjusting to it well, but I'm not. I miss kissing his bald little head while I hold him. I think the hardest part for him is being hot and sweaty all the time. When I take the helmet off for the daily cleaning, it smells like sweaty sneakers. Poor little guy. I keep reminding myself that he won't be wearing it for long. Because he started so young, there's a possibility he may only have to wear it for a couple of months. I'm thinking of decorating the helmet, but am undecided on the theme. A fellow helmet mom told me that adorning it with cute colors and patterns can help a lot with the quiet stares that we get at the store. Strangers have gone from talking and smiling at Dray to mostly just staring quickly and averting their eyes or telling their kids to hush when they comment or ask questions about the helmet. I have heard some pretty cute comments from kids such as, "He looks like a race car driver," "Did you drop him on his head?" and "Does that baby play football?"
Anyway, we love Dray lots and know that wearing this helmet is what's best for him. Soon we'll have that kissable head back and his Tron phase will be a distant memory.

Happy five-month-old birthday, Dray (yesterday)! Here are some photos from the last couple of months.



Here is an example of Lana's photoshop expertise. She transformed Dray into a baby chick!

3 comments:

  1. I can sympathize with people staring. When Quinton had his casts, I wondered if people thought I broke his leg. Decorating the cast did seem to help. He is still cute, helmet and all. Reminds me of when Ryan used to wear one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny about Tron. Dale really wants to see that movie. He should be Tron for Halloween if he still has his helmet on. Cute comments too. Kids say the funniest things. We had one of Megan's friends over for lunch and by the end of it, Dale was told he had a big nose and that he was fat. How come you get more bacon? Dale-because I'm big. Girl-and fat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He does look really cute. I know about stares and comments because we have ahd many with all of the casts and braces. I am so thankful for medical technology that it makes all of the stares worth it! Time will pass quickly!

    ReplyDelete