Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Little Mean Queen

Last Friday we scored front row seats to Ellie's debut as the Wicked Queen in Snow White. I have to say that she did a great job! She's obviously inherited the acting gene (that unfortunately skipped a generation with me.) When I was young, I played orphan Annie onstage as well as Louisa in The Sound of Music, but my flair for the dramatic pales in comparison to my Grandpa's (who was the drama director at EAC for 30 years.) He directed and starred in many, many plays. He was a ham, both onstage and off, and that's what made him so much fun. My mom also starred in her fair share of plays. When I was little I watched her play the characters Grace in "Annie" and Nancy in "Oliver," and several others.
So, when Ellie stood fearlessly on the stage, remaining completely in character, I thought it was pretty dang cute and I think that it's the first play of many to come. She's already asking to do another, but it's tricky to find productions that allow kids so young.
I'm just glad that Ellie found something that she really likes to do!


Before the show, I dropped Ellie off in full make-up in the green room, gave her a quick hug, and told her to break a leg (we'd discussed the meaning of the phrase earlier.) I saw the heads of several of her castmates turn toward me in confusion. One little girl even ran up to her and in a worried voice asked, "Why did your mom say that?" Ellie explained as I laughed all the way to my seat.

I'll post a video of the performance soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment